By Richard Paul
Often, when a homeowner finds mold growing in their home, their first reaction is to use bleach, assuming that as it cleans the fungus away, it also kills anything remaining behind. Contrary to this belief, bleach does not remove mold, nor does bleach kill fungal infestations, even when used at full strength.
New Hampshire homes that have mold damage need remediation, not ineffective methods such as bleach solutions. In addition to wasting time, bleach has been known to create a more hospitable environment for mold and other microbes to grow.
Microbes such as mold and mildew need moisture in their surroundings. Cleaning with bleach provides this needed moisture because bleach is mostly water, even when used straight from the bottle. It may seem strong, but the majority of the container is plain water, and less than ten percent is sodium hypochlorite, the compound that is considered to be bleach. Water is a much smaller molecule and can easily penetrate into walls made of drywall or wood. Sodium hypochlorite, however, is too large a molecule, forcing it to remain on the surface.
Unable to penetrate into the surface that the infestation is growing on, and into, keeps it from doing much good. The property it is best known for is the removal of colors, which has caused people to believe that the fungi was dead and washed away. This might produce great results on white shirts that have stains, but when it comes to microbes, it just does not work as claimed.
When any mold has infested a home, it is crucial to locate all areas where mold is growing, and also to find and stop any moisture from being provided to the microorganisms residing in the area. Mold easily returns, however, if there is a lack of moisture or humidity; growth cannot occur. Professional mold remediators can quickly assess a home and discover both current populations of microbes, and also determine where these populations are obtaining their needed source of moisture.
After gathering this information, remediation can begin and conclude successfully. Removing sections inundated with mold growth must be done carefully, or spores can easily disperse into the air. Preventing this helps prevent reinfestation as well as an increase in adverse health effects of the occupants of the home. Further preventative efforts include the use of microbial inhibitors. Spraying these liquids on, or applying them as if they are paint, depending on the situation and location, provides long-lasting protection that is also safe around children, pets, and plants.
When you have located what might be mold harbored in your home, calling a certified company can protect your home from the effects of mold damage and help keep mold growth from happening again in the future.
Click here for more information about the city of Jaffrey, New Hampshire.